Police Order For Probe As Two Unizik Students Die of Generator Fume In Private Hostel In Anambra


By John Ugo, Awka

Police in Anambra have ordered for full scale investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of two students of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka,Anambra State.

The students, a male and female, were found dead on Sunday evening after the door of a private hostel in which both of them slept the previous days, was forced open by police.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Echeng Echenge has ordered for full scale investigation to unravel the cause of death of the two students.

Police preliminary investigation revealed that fumes from a generator was strongly perceived from the room when the door was forced open by police officers that responded to the distress call.

The police stated that the recovered bodies of the students were deposited at the morgue, pointing out that no mark of violence was found on the bodies of the deceased students.

The bodies of the two students were discovered at about 5:15pm on Sunday at the private hostel located near the university community.

It as gathered that the incident happened at popular Williams Lodge in the area.

A source close to the institution said one of the rooms of the lodge was forced open following a disturbing stench oozing out from the room as well as swam of flies that invaded the areas for days.

It was learnt that bodies of the two students were getting decayed which led to the stench coming out from the room of the hostel.

The male and female students were said to be friends before their death but their death was believed to have happened without the knowledge of neighbours within and around the building.

It awas not certain what may have caused the death of the two students.

Some students of the institution living around the hostel who pleaded that their names should not be mentioned believe there might have been physical brawl between the duo which led to their death.

The name of the female students was given simply as Adaeze while that of the boy was yet to be ascertained as at the time of this report.

Findings revealed that policemen in company of officials of the Students Union Government (SUG) of the university and the parents of the girl were said to have evacuated the corpses on Sunday evening to a morgue in Awka pending further investigations into the circumstances surrounding their death.

However, CP Echeng Echeng on Monday 21st February, 2022 urged the general public especially Ndi Anambra to be conscious of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

He explained that carbon monoxide is a dangerous substance that is very toxic to health and the substance when inhaled can cause serious damage to the body and can lead to death.

According to him, “The substances mostly emanate from generators, water heaters, coal burning appliances or any gasoline powered engine.”

He also appealed to the general public, most especially, generator users to keep them away at safe distance from the window and any place the fumes can penetrate from to avoid such poisonous fumes like Carbon monoxide affecting the ventilation of the house.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here