News Investigators/ The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) says it has successfully concluded the 2026 Hajj outbound airlift of Nigerian pilgrims to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The NAHCON management said in a statement in Makkah that the airlift was concluded at 10:44 a.m Thursday.
According to the statement, this comes ahead of the deadline for inbound Hajj flights into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia before commencement of the Hajj rites.
It said that the airlift operation, which commenced on May 3, officially came to an end with the final flight by Max Air conveying pilgrims from Zamfara.
“A total of 98 outbound flights were operated within 18 days, averaging about five flights daily.
“Nigeria was allocated a total Hajj quota of 50,000 pilgrims for the 2026 exercise.
“This figure includes 9,750 slots allocated to Licensed Tour Operators, as well as operational support personnel and statutory officials,” the statement added.
It said that as at the conclusion of the airlift, about 39,000 pilgrims were successfully airlifted to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the performance of Hajj, adding that they included those from the government quota, excluding officials and government representatives.
“However, some intending pilgrims could not travel due to unavoidable circumstances, including deaths and ill health after issuance of visas.
“The commission expresses gratitude to Almighty Allah for the orderly, peaceful and successful coordination among critical stakeholders throughout the airlift operation.”
According to the statement, the Chairman of NAHCON, Amb. Ismail Yusuf, commends the cooperation and resilience demonstrated by NAHCON Board Members and staff.
He also commends Nigerian pilgrims, state pilgrims’ welfare boards, licensed tour operators, official air carriers, security agencies, operational committees and other relevant stakeholders who contributed to the success recorded so far.
“The commission particularly appreciates the enormous support and diligent guidance of President Bola Tinubu.
“We also appreciate the supervision of Vice-President Kashim Shettima in ensuring the safety and overall wellbeing of Nigerian pilgrims despite challenges occasioned by uncertainties in global socio-political trends.”
NAHCON reminded the pilgrims that the Hajj period was a unique moment in the life of a Muslim, and a period that demanded patience, discipline, sacrifice, steadfastness and fervent prayers.
It urged the pilgrims to abide by the laws and regulations guiding Hajj operations in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and avoid acts capable of attracting penalties or creating unnecessary difficulties for themselves and others.
It also urged pilgrims to continue cooperating with officials and relevant authorities, while reassuring them that arrangements for Masha’ir operations have been concluded and will be continuously monitored to safeguard their comfort and welfare.
NAHCON further said that preparations were being concluded for the return flight operations scheduled to commence on June 3.
“Details regarding return schedules will be communicated appropriately in due course.
“The commission also assures that preparations for future Hajj operations, including the 2027 Hajj exercise, will commence immediately after the conclusion of the current pilgrimage season.
“This is part of efforts to consolidate on successes recorded and improve service delivery.
“NAHCON prays for Allah’s acceptance of the pilgrims’ Hajj and their safe return to their families,” the statement added.
NAN
