Explosion rocks Lagos community


By Kamsi Anayo

Many shops were destroyed by fire on Tuesday night following a gas explosion on Olusesi Street in the Ifako-Ishaga area of Lagos.

The National Emergency Management Agency ( NEMA ) which confirmed the explosion  urged residents not to panic.

NEMA stated that a store with cooking gas exploded, which  caused the fire.

According to the agency, the fire affected some buildings at Ogun Street, Balogun bus stop.

The fire, which affected a few properties around the scene is currently being controlled by emergency services.

In a tweet confirming its presence at the scene of the fire, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service noted that it is currently attending to the fire explosion.

The post on X partly read, “The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service is currently attending a to a fire explosion at Agbado Road, Toyin B/S, Iju Ishaga.

“The fire which was reported at 22:04hrs Tuesday as a result of a gas tanker that accidentally caught fire and accompanied with explosion has been confined to the tanker and adjoining row of shops it spread to as concerted efforts are ongoing to forestall further spread to protect the environment and  property including the nearby filling station.”

An eyewitness confirmed to our correspondent that firefighters from the Agege Fire Station, Ikeja Fire Station, Alausa Fire Station and Bolade Fire Station are currently on the ground at the scene of the incident to forestall possible spread.” 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here