News Investigators/ The governor of Borno State in Nigeria’s north east region, Babagana Zulum has said that there is no community in the state still under the control of Boko Haram terrorists.
Mr. Zulum, a university professor turned politician, made the declaration on Tuesday in Maiduguri during a courtesy call on him by the Chief of Defence Staff, Christopher Musa.
The governor told newsmen: “I am pleased to inform the general public that as at now, we do not have any community that is under the control of Boko Haram in Borno.
According to Mr. Zulum, “Within the last 18 months, about 140,000 Boko Haram members and their families have repented and surrendered.”
He commended the military for its sacrifices in the restoration of peace in Borno.
Mr. Musa, an army general, was a Theatre Commander of the military operations against the Boko Haram terrorists.
The governor acknowledged the role played by the army general in restoring peace to Borno State.
“Throughout your stay in Borno, there was improved peace, especially in terms of promotion of military-civilian relationships.
“This among others contributed largely to the successes that we have seen so far,’’ he said while assuring the commitment of his administration to providing the needed support to the military for maximum success in its assignment of restoring peace in Borno.
Speaking earlier, Mr. Musa said he was in Borno to boost troops’ morale and to thank the government and people of Borno for their support.
Mr. Musa, who recalled his stay in Borno as Theatre Commander, said he received maximum support from the governor and from the people of Borno.
“You made work here extremely easy; if every state is lucky to get somebody who will give this kind of support, I am sure the security situation would have been dealt with.
“Throughout my career, it is Borno that I have the best of support as a commander,’’ he said, noting that the kinetic and non-kinetic approaches would continue to be applied in the fight against insurgency.