TEXT OF A PRESS BRIEFING BY THE HEAD OF CIVIL SERVICE, ALH. BAPPAYO YAHAYA ON THE JUST CONCLUDED 2-DAY IN-HOUSE INDUCTION COURSE FOR THE NEWLY APPOINTED PERMANENT SECRETARIES IN GOMBE STATE.
As directed by His Excellency Muhammdu Inuwa Yahaya, (Dan Majen Gombe), the Executive Governor of the Gombe State, during the swearing ceremony of the Twelve (12) Newly appointed Permanent Secretaries held on Monday, 29th August, 2022, A 2-Day Induction course was conducted for all the newly appointed Permanent Secretaries from 1st September to 2nd September, 2022 at the Dahiru Mohammed State Secretariat, Gombe.
- During the induction course, Six (6) papers were presented on critical topics that have direct bearing on the expected Code of Conduct of the newly appointed Permanent Secretaries and the new roles they are expected to play towards the improvement of service delivery in the State Civil Service to actualize the transformation Agenda of the present administration for efficient delivery of the dividends of democracy to the people of Gombe State. The topics are:-
a. Code of Ethics, Civil Service Rules, Financial Instruction and Stores Regulations
b. Preparation of Executive Council Memoranda, Ministerial Briefs, Reports and Minutes
c. Public Financial Management,
d. Public Procurement ,
e. Public Policy Development
f. Dispute Resolution and Negotiation Skills in the Public Service
- After the Presentations, Participants were also given the opportunity to interact with the Resource Persons on all the issues raised in the six (6) papers presented as well as the opportunity to ask questions with a view to enabling them have a clear understanding and full articulation of the presentations.
- Additional discussions were also held on matters pertaining to relationship management between the Permanent Secretaries and their Commissioners on the one hand, and the Permanent Secretaries and their Staff on the other. Relationship with the general public in terms of the way and manner the Permanent Secretaries are expected to conduct themselves were also discussed.
- The issue of unfettered subordination and total loyalty to the current Administration in the State was equally emphasesed. Absolute compliance to rules and regulations of the Service as well as, transparency and accountability in the day to day conduct of official responsibilities was also demanded from all of them. On the whole, the permanent Secretaries were reminded on the need to be guided by Best Practice and value for money in the course of Public procurement of budgeted Programs and Projects of the Government.
- At the end of the 2-Day Induction Course all the participants expressed their profound gratitude to His Excellency Muhammdu Inuwa Yahaya, (Dan Majen Gombe), the Executive Governor of the Gombe State for finding them fit for appointment as Permanent Secretaries and also availing them with the opportunity to participate in the the 2-Day Induction Course, which has greatly improved their knowledge and understanding of the new responsibilities awaiting them.
- Distinguished Members of the press Let me also seize this opportunity to assure all Civil Servants in Gombe State that the Government of His Excellency Muhammdu Inuwa Yahaya, (Dan Majen Gombe) is a Civil Service friendly Government and will continue to strive towards improving the welfare of Civil Servants in the State in terms of prompt payment of Salaries and Pensions, Promotions as and when due, training and re-training e.t.c.
- I therefore implore all Civil Servants in the State to reciprocate this kind gesture of the Government by rededicating themselves to their assigned responsibilities and to render total support and loyalty to the present Administration.
- Thank you for listening