By Olusegun Emmanuel, Abuja.
The death toll from an outbreak of Ebola in West Africa has risen to 729, the World Health Organisation said on Thursday, after 57 deaths were reported between July 24 and 27 in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
The WHO also said Nigerian authorities had so far identified 59 people who had come into contact with a U.S. citizen who died in Lagos last week after traveling from Liberia, via Togo and Ghana, Reuters reports.
Meanwhile, WHO has expressed concern about the spread of Ebola in West Africa, adding that it plans to commit $100 million dollars in fighting the outbreak.
This life-line is expected to be announced on Friday by head of the World Health Organisation and leaders of West African nations affected by Ebola disease.
The meeting is scheduled to hold in Guinea on Friday, where the initiative will be launched.