The South African President Jacob Zuma has had a telephone conversation with President Goodluck Jonathan on the need for the two countries to continue to maintain warm and cordial relations, regardless of the recent attacks on some Nigerians and their businesses in some part of South Africa.
Nigerians and many other foreign nationals, especially Africans were victims of xenophobic attack that rocked some major cities in South Africa in the month of April.
A statement by the South African Presidency on Thursday, said Zuma and Jonathan in a telephone conversation reaffirmed the need for their countries to work together.
“The two Presidents reaffirmed the warm and cordial relations between South Africa and Nigeria and pledged that the two countries will continue to work together for the good of their peoples and the continent as a whole,” it stated.
Adding that, “President Jonathan expressed his support for the efforts of South Africa to arrest the attacks on foreign nationals and to ensure the safety and security of all citizens, including foreign nationals and those from the African continent in particular, who bore the brunt of the attacks earlier this month (April).”
The statement further said that Zuma would attend the inauguration of the President-elect of Nigeria, Maj. Gen Muhammadu Buhari, which is expected to hold on May 29.
Meanwhile Mayor of Thabazimbi, Patricia Mosito, have condemned the attacks on foreigners alleging that it was planned.
“This thing was organised because people cannot just wake up and start engaging in this criminal acts,” Mosito was quoted as saying.
Arguing that, “it is criminal to attack foreign nationals. It is not something that we can condone, it’s something criminal.”