NEWSINVESTIGATORS

Wike Assures IBB Golf Club Will Reopen In December

News Investigators/ Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says the IBB Golf and Country Club, Abuja, will be reopened and fully operational by December.

Mr Wike gave the assurance on Friday in Abuja while inspecting the ongoing renovation of the club and other road projects in the territory.

He said the facility, which had been shut down following internal management crises, was being rehabilitated to restore it to full operational status.

According to him, the FCT Administration intervened in the management crisis by appointing a caretaker committee, chaired by the President of the Court of Appeal, to restore administrative stability.

Mr Wike said that the government intervened in the renovation of the golf course because of the importance of the facility to the diplomatic community.

“You may want to ask what is our business in the golf course. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t have intervened.

“This is an elitist thing, and I don’t like to interfere where the poor people will not benefit.

“But again, the golf course is important to the FCT; we have diplomats and this is where they come and play golf,” he said.

The minister said President Bola Tinubu had directed that the club should be rehabilitated and reopened for public use by December.

He said the President’s intervention followed complaints from members of the diplomatic community over the lack of recreational golf facilities in the nation’s capital.

Mr Wike said the FCT Administration re-engaged Julius Berger to undertake the rehabilitation, citing the company’s familiarity with the facility and track record of quality delivery.

He said the contractor had indicated that the rehabilitation could be completed by November, but stressed that the facility must be reopened by December in line with the presidential directive.

The minister also assured the contractor that the FCT Administration would meet its financial obligations to ensure the uninterrupted execution of the project.

“Julius Berger doesn’t have friendship when it comes to money. The money must be on ground before they can do the work.

“So, we are doing everything possible to pay them, and we are paying them,” Wike said.

He said the government’s intervention in the facility was a special concession necessitated by its importance to the diplomatic community.

According to him, the club is expected to generate funds for its operations after its rehabilitation and reopening.

Mr Wike urged members and golf enthusiasts to appreciate the President’s intervention in restoring the facility.

The minister also inspected the Collector Road CO1 from Life Camp Junction on Arterial Road N5 to Ring Road II, being executed by Julius Berger.

He expressed satisfaction with the pace of work and said the project was progressing according to schedule for completion and handover in December.

Wike further inspected the development of Arterial Road N1 from Wuye District to Ring Road II, being executed by Arab Contractors.

He commended the quality and pace of work, expressing confidence that the project would also be completed before the end of the year.

NAN

Exit mobile version