A statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary, Dr. Ibraheem Dooba, said although government has stated that it would allow the EFCC to do its job, it was important to ask some significant questions of past administration.
Dooba said the government’s attention has been drawn to the continued denial, in the media, by the officials of the past administration that they obtained a loan of N2.9 billion on the eve of their departure.
It should be recalled that Bello said last week that he wants officials in the government of Aliyu to return N2.9 billion.
He said: “We want our money back. The money belongs to the people.
“I took an oath to protect the people and by the grace of God, that is what I am going to do.”
According to Dooba on Monday: “For instance, why would the then Secretary to the State Government deny collecting any N600 million only for him to later admit he collected the sum of N612 million for ‘general’ security during the last senatorial bye-election in the state?
“Was the money actually budgeted for, and was it used for the purpose intended. Why was the said funds given to the SSG, was he the Chief Security officer or INEC?”
Dooba stated that it was regrettable that instead of answering questions and making clarifications, these officials of the past administration have engaged in rhetoric, thereby diverting attention from the major issue.
He added: “Why are they focusing on the definition of the ‘eve of departure’? It is obvious that these government officials have chosen the hard way rather than the easy one, and the hard way they will get.
“We continue to discover heinous scandals of the previous administration on a daily basis, however like I said earlier, we will allow the EFCC to do their work.”