By Sadiq Umar, Abuja – A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja Friday ordered the Department of State Security Services (DSS) to allow former National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki, travel abroad for medical attention, even as it ruled that its earlier order directing it to vacate his house in Asokoro be complied with.
Justice Adeniyi Ademola gave the order following Dasuki’s protest to the court last Monday that the Nigerian government had continued to deny him of his fundamental rights.
Dasuki had been placed under house arrest in the last one week by the DSS.
The former NSA, in a suit filed by his counsel, Ahmed Raji urged the court to stop the siege on his house and to remove all impediments, human and non-human barricade and bulwarks said to have hindered the November 3 directive that allows him to travel abroad for treatment of his ailing medical condition.
The court had earlier directed that the former NSA be allowed to travel.
Ruling on the matter, Justice Ademola said “a court order must be obeyed.”
The Judge said there was nothing wrong in allowing Dasuki to travel abroad for medical treatment, saying “only a fit person can stand for trial and investigation. My own orders will not be flouted,” he insisted.
In a motion on notice filed pursuant to section 36(5) 37 and 41 of the 1999 constitution and sections 1(1) and (2) and 266 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, the ex-NSA also sought an order of the court extending the November 3 order permitting him to travel abroad for treatment.
In his order Friday, Justice Ademola said he would send his staff to go to Dasuki’s residence to confirm his claims about a siege.
The Federal Government had preferred criminal charges of unlawful possession of firearms and money laundering against Dasuki at the Federal High Court.
He denied the charges and was granted bail.
Consequently, the accused was on November 3 granted permission to travel abroad to treat his ailment.
The grant of the permission followed the affidavit evidence filed by the Federal Government that investigations into the alleged possession of firearms and money laundering have been fully completed.
However, the former NSA was disallowed from traveling abroad for medical attention following a siege by the DSS operatives on his Asokoro, Abuja residence since November 4, 2015.