Published On: Thu, Apr 26th, 2018

Lake Chad: Multinational Force Kills 59 Terrorists, Loses 22 Soldiers In 3 Weeks

Share This
Tags

By Sadiq Umar – The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), says its troops have killed 59 Boko Haram insurgents and captured five alive in its on-going offensive against the terrorists in the Lake Chad Basin.

The Force Commander, Lucky Irabor, a major general who briefed stakeholders Thursday, in N’Djamena, Chad said since the beginning of the military offensive on April 5, troops have inflicted heavy casualties on Boko Haram terrorists.

According to Mr. Irabor, the Multinational Force killed 59 in action, captured 5 terrorists, killed 3 suicide bombers, destroyed 3 Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Devices, and captured 1 each of 81 and 82mm mortars and bombs.

“One 122mm artillery gun and its prime mover captured, 6-gun trucks destroyed, fuel dump, food stores and communication platform destroyed. Gashigar, Arege and Metele cleared of terrorists and several motorcycles destroyed.

“However, the Force Commander noted that his forces recorded 22 killed in action, 75 wounded, a scorpion tank and truck each damaged,” MJTF stated in a release by Chief Military Public Information, MNJTF N’Djemena, Colonel Timothy Antigha Thursday.

While briefing the media and “Strategic Partners” today in N’Djamena, Chad, Mr. Irabor observed that Boko Haram terrorism like other similar conflicts create complex emergencies which attract humanitarian, military and other interventions.

He added that for such interventions to succeed, it is imperative for responsible actors to share and disseminate information.

This he noted was the rationale for MNJTF’s effort in providing information about its activities on a regular basis.

The Force Commander noted that the Mandate of the MNJTF among other responsibilities, empowers it to “create a safe and secure environment in the areas affected by the activities of Boko Haram terrorism and other terrorist groups, in order to significantly reduce violence and other abuses, including sexual and gender-based violence, in full compliance with international law”.

He added that the ongoing operation is in the spirit of the mandate.

Mr. Irabor disclosed that Operation ANMI FAKAT is to consolidate on the gains of Operation RUWAN KADA which was conducted between January and June 2017.

The Force Commander informed the gathering that the current operation which was flagged off on 5 April 2018 is already yielding substantial operational dividends.

He explained that the high casualty ratio of his troops was due to indirect fire and Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device attack by terrorists but assured that steps have been taken to forestall a reoccurrence.

The Force Commander said that already 50% of injured troops have been treated and discharged.

He assured the audience and people in the Lake Chad Basin Commission countries of the determination of the MNJTF in conjunction with national forces to deal decisively with Boko Haram terrorism, as Operation ANMI FAKAT continues.

“The Force Commander thanked strategic and international partners, troops contributing countries and other stake – holders for the support and encouragement so far given to the Multinational Joint Task Force,” the statement added.

About the Author

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>